Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fabric Pumpkin Tutorial


I have these cute little fabric pumpkin scattered around my house. They are the perfect decoration when you have little kids that like to touch everything. They can even be used in a fun toss game with your little one. Toss the pumpkins in to a small tub or toss them back and forth. Either way you toss these little soft pumpkins will help you child improve there hand eye coordination. You could even play hot and cold with your older kids. Hide the pumpkin in your house and tell your child if they are hot when they are close to it and cold when they are far from it. These pumpkins are sure to not only make your house cute for the holidays, but also entertain the littlest of kids. 


What you need:
Orange Fabric
Green Fabric
Polyester Fiberfill
needle and Orange thread
Sewing machine

These are very easy to make. First you will need two different fabrics. A green and an orange. You can experiment with lengths and sizes. Depending on how you cut the fabric you can get different sizes and shapes. In this tutorial I cut the green fabric 4in x 2 1/2in. The orange fabric is cut to 16in x 10in.
 
Fold orange fabric in half, with right sides together. Sew one straight stitch down raw salvage ends.

Same with green fabric fold in half and sew an "L" shape, top edge and side edge, leaving bottom open for stuffing. Turn stem right side out and stuff stem with polyester fiberfill.

Hand stitch and gather the top of your orange fabric, with fabric inside out. 

Turning green stem upside down with stuffing part facing up. Gather fabric around it. To secure, wrap thread around and around the top. Then stitch going all the way through the stem a few times.

Turn right side out and stuff with polyester fiberfill.

stitch across bottom.

Pull tight and stuff raw edges inside. Sew and secure.

Re-thread your needle with a yard length from needle to knot. The string is going to pucker your pumpkin and make it look like a pumpkin. Go from bottom to top, then from top to bottom till you reach desired pumpkin shape. I have about five lines on mine.


Enjoy! Thanks for looking!

Please feel free to comment below.







8 comments:

  1. These are so adorable!! I have seen fabric pumpkins, but yours have some good texture to them. Cute, cute, cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute, and they're the perfect size! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turned out wonderful! And a great tute, too. Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute! i love them! i think, even tho i hate to sew, that i can manage this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these so much, I featured your pumpkins on my blog today:

    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/09/pumpkin-patch-at-oopsey-daisy.html

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I want some. I love the fabrics you chose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I forgot to mention that I featured these the other day at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. These are adorable. Grab my "featured' BUTTON. I've looked through quite a few posts of yours. You have a great blog with lots of awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THIS!!! My kids and I made these cuties today. I posted and linked you in my blog! http://twolittlechickadees.blogspot.com/2010/10/ode-to-autumn.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...